I don't disagree that Wonders of the Solar System and the Natural History
Musem programmes are great examples of science on TV, but the latest
surevy from Wellcome on the Public Views of Medical Research reinforces tha
fact the young people tend to get their facts elsewhere than TV in general
and, I would add, than BBC2. It also highlights that younger people are more
likely to watch fictional than factual programmes.

The full report is accessible at:

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/About-us/Publications/Reports/Public-
engagement/WTX058859.htm

And I have taking my comments from Ch 2.

Bruce

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:20:24 +0000, Francisco Diego
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear Judith,
>
>How about the Wonders of the Solar System? In my view, one of the best
>science series, very inspirational, beautifully written and produced.
>Amazing locations, excellent presenter, spontaneous, full of enthusiasm
>and sense of humour, simple and effective analogies, experiments and
>demonstrations that any of us can and should reproduce. Shown at prime
>times on BBC 2 still on iPlayer if you missed the first two.
>
>regards
>
>francisco
>>

>--
>

>       %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

>                                                                  *
>                                                                          *
>         Dr Francisco Diego, FRAS
>         Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
>         University College London (Observatory)                          *
>         553 Watford Way
>         London, NW7 2QS, UK
>         STFC Science in Society Fellow                       * * *
>         The Mind of the Universe lectures
>         www.ucl.ac.uk/themindoftheuniverse                   *
>                                                             *
>         email: [log in to unmask]                    *
>               (international)   |     (UK)
>         Fax:   +44-20-8906-4161 | 020-8906-4161                *
>         Mobile: +44-7974-917878 | 07974-917878
>
>       %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

>On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Judith Bunting wrote:
>

>Does anyone think that these days science on TV plays an inspirational role?
>
>Though I was already keen, my interest was pushed on leaps an bounds by
an
>Horizon programme: Key to the Unverse (~30 years ago). My own children,
>who are not stupid and have general science in the conversation around
>them at home, have both been utterly uninspired by their science education
>(state, though 'nice', schools) and won't watch a serious science
>documentary for more than five mins.
>
> Judith
>

>Judith Bunting
>07914 835 073
>

>________________________________

************ 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for
example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following
message:
>set psci-com nomail -- [include hyphens]
>2. To resume email from the list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with
the message:
>set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]
>3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
message:
>leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]
>4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list
archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-
com.html
and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk