Possibly the final word on this, here is a link that shows you the
prevalence of internships in journalism:

http://www.gorkanapr.com/jobs/journalist?region=UK&roles_id=17&locations_id=
1&types_id=31&journalist_jobs_adverts_id=6147&journalist_jobs_options_id=31#
advert_6146

Dozens of them. Some of them look distinctly like staff jobs to me.

As to the SEB internship, I did say at the beginning, when I first raised
it, "I guess it is OK for something as short as this, but it does bring up a
subject that has been aired elsewhere". I just latched on to the
announcement to kick off what turned into an informative, for me at least,
discussion.

The nice bit, which I don't think anyone has mentioned, is that both New
Scientist and Nature pay their interns.

Michael Kenward OBE
Have words will travel