From: Practitioner-Researcher [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Wilson
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 7:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Translations

I'm grateful, Joan, for taking the trouble to respond. Translators and interpreters are indeed among the most "taken for granted" people in the world. The stereotype is probably the solitary figure standing alongside a world leader, but more often than not their role is more banal but no less necessary. I have spent many hours of my life sitting in police stations trying to explain the workings of our judicial system to an often very frightened foreigner who has fallen foul of one of our laws. I've had to learn very quickly about narcotics idiom in French, something my BA in the language never prepared me for vocabulary-wise. General dictionaries often prove to be useless in such circumstances!

I've also attended court, decades ago, where I've read aloud what the defendant had to say, in French and translated into English, only for the defendant to tell the magistrate that he hadn't said any such thing. I had to read aloud again everything that I had uttered, pausing every few minutes for the magistrate to ask whether I had written and translated correctly, and this time he agreed my renderings were accurate. The magistrate then asked me to interpret for the defendant for the remainder of the trial, something I was surprised to be asked to do, considering how the defendant had initially questioned my translation skills. My own small travails pale into insignificance, however, when we see on TV how interpreters in the world's trouble spots may be threatened with death or injury by their own compatriots. Some interpreters are among the world's unsung heroes.

I expect multilingualism is at the very heart of South African society in general, and academe there in particular. On the subject of writing theses in languages other than our mother tongues, I once had to write an undergraduate dissertation in French while I taught in a school in France. Though the circumstances were very conducive to the use of French, I still found the writing  much more arduous than it would have been in English.

David Wilson
http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/