Hi Swaroop,

Thanks for your insightful comments.  I do not think that what you said was mean or petty.

Let me begin by using a quote by  Peter Reason and Hillary Bradbury (2007) that describes "action research as 'a family of approaches',
a family which sometimes argues and falls out, whose members may  at times ignore or wish to dominate others, yet a family which sees itself as different from other forms of research and is certainly willing to pull  together in the face of criticism or hostility from supposedly 'objective' ways of doing research." (p. xxii).

I am sorry that you have to go through this situation.   What you have experienced here is an academic push out  against action research . I have encountered the same kind of hostility at first and was able to push back and had action research accepted as a mandatory course in my program.  What gave it more credibility is the fact that my students were engaged in action research in their schools and  doing excellent work. We received a lot of accolades for pushing high school students and even raising their scores on the state tests.  The outcome validity did it.

In my previous email about action research in India, I was thinking about some of the successful economic activities that have taken place there and whose success was attributed to  participatory styles of work e.g. , Bhomi Seena, micro lending etc.  There is even a recent article by Thelma R. Paris, Abba Sinch  & al. (2008) Assessing the impact of participatory research in rice breeding ...A case study in eastern Uttar Pradesh.  Another article by  Dyer, Choksi & al. (2002) Democratizing  teacher education research in India. Those are some of the activities  I was alluding to.  I was little aware of the academic hostility to action research.  And again I am not surprised. This is not something exclusive to India.  It is all over the place.  Think of the advent of interpretive research when the positivistic paradigm dominated the sciences.

My sense is that action research is still a novelty and people may not have an idea of what it is. The banking concept of education is well alive. Even for those doing action research I am sometimes surprised to see how narrowly it is defined.  There are articles  that only see action research "as short sighted consulting, seems to argue that one approach is the true form of action research or traces action research  back through just one discipline stream to one set of founding (usually masculine) authorities." (Reason et al. 2007, p. xxiii).
I have written an article soon to be published in the Action Research Journal where I discuss action research as critical pedagogy.  This paper addresses some of the concerns you have raised about the  fine details of action research.

Action research is value-driven, self-reflective.  We do not pretend to be objective. Why would one worry about objectivity when there is no objective definition of he concept of objectivity.  In a post positivistic era, it makes sense to be real, respect and recognize how emotions and values influence our research.  And I also love the McNiff and Whitehead concept  about "values negated in practice".

I am glad you met Jack who I never met but whose work I admire. But last but not the least you talked about imagination which has become my obsession for the past five years.  Teaching school administrators soon to be I impress upon them that to truly be a school leader one has to be imaginative. I focus on three elements: imagination, creativity and innovation.  I have  been studying the work of Maxine Greene at the Lincoln Center in New York.  YES!!!  We need a lot of imagination in action research.

Best,

Nathalis