That's a good way of putting it, Dave. I've just been participating in
a discussion on Facebook, where I was agreeing more or less with Roger
Day about the importance of the Pound-Williams line, as opposed to
Eliot, especially the elder Eliot, yet the person who started the
discussion was more interested in a different tradition (& the
discussion had problems in defining what it was each individual was
looking for: Roger & I were interested in what we could learn, as
writers, from  the poets we admired so, others were simply interested
in what they read for a complex pleasure, which we also sought). So,
back to Sheila's & your points, etc....

I mean, I then went & got my Collected Olson & enjoyed n afternoon
rereading some of the great poems that continue to men so much to me...
(many would go elsewhere).

Doug
On 13-Mar-10, at 3:48 AM, David Bircumshaw wrote:

> I think the 'answer' as far there is one is that there's a constant
> unconscious dialogue between what we have read and what is new to us
> and
> this is prior to the magisterial essay-moment of judgement. It's
> comparable
> to how relationship networks form: a constant threading of like and
> dislike,
> attraction and aversion, as well as the facts of necessity.

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)