UC Press demanded that I get pewrmission from poets to quote their
answers to emails about my translations. I already had their
permission for everything else. I stalled, and finally said, "you're
kidding, right?" To which they responded, "do you really really
promise there won't be trouble?" Oy.

At 10:47 AM 3/5/2010, you wrote:
>I did, David.
>
>On a somewhat related note, at her reading at the university last
>week, Karen Connolly read from a non-fiction work about Burma, & a
>love affair there among other things; after which one of my still
>teaching colleagues mentioned that he was now being asked to carry a
>release form whenever he might 'use' someone else's speech (even, say,
>overhearing people talking at the next table in a restaurant: you can
>imagine). He gave us the term: 'ethics creep,' which can be read so
>many ways. Made me glad I was outside that institution now: whither
>imagination?
>
>Doug
>On 5-Mar-10, at 5:02 AM, David Bircumshaw wrote:
>
>>If interested please go to www.libelreform.org and sign the PEN
>>sponsored
>>petition for a reform of the English libel laws, to prevent foreign
>>litigants using British courts to suppress books and articles to
>>which they
>>object.
>>

>>--
>>David Bircumshaw
>>"A window./Big enough to hold screams/
>>You say are poems" - DMeltzer
>>Website and A Chide's Alphabet
>>http://www.staplednapkin.org.uk
>>The Animal Subsides http://www.arrowheadpress.co.uk/books/animal.html
>>Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/david.bircumshaw
>>twitter: http://twitter.com/bucketshave
>>blog: http://groggydays.blogspot.com/
>
>Douglas Barbour
>
>http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/
>
>Latest books:
>Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
>http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
>Wednesdays'
>http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html
>
>It is ink
>on paper love
>
>         Frank O'Hara

Announcing The Whole Island: Six Decades of Cuban Poetry (University
of California Press).
http://go.ucpress.edu/WholeIsland

"Not since the 1982 publication of Paul Auster's Random House Book of
Twentieth Century French Poetry has a bilingual anthology so
effectively broadened the sense of poetic terrain outside the United
States and also created a superb collection of foreign poems in
English. There is nothing else like it."   John Palattella in The
Nation