** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. **

MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Please see below for details of an upcoming public
engagement event I'm co-organizing.  If you'd like
to come, you'll need to register, as places are
limited to 80 and it's already filling up.

It should be a good night - hope to see you there!

Lauren

----

Striking Your Own Chord: Journeys into Musical Plagiarism

7-9pm, Wednesday 17 March 2010
Science Museum's Dana Centre,
165 Queen's Gate,
South Kensington, London SW7 5HD

George Harrison was found guilty of 'unconscious
musical plagiarism' in relation to his hit song
'My Sweet Lord' - a misdemeanour that cost him
more than a million dollars. But what constitutes
plagiarism? How can it be 'unconscious'? And how
do today's songwriters tread the line between
artistic referencing and musical originality?
Discuss these questions with experts from
psychology, brain science and the music industry,
and join in 'Creative Karaoke', an interactive
workshop designed to test your musical creativity.

DATE:      Wednesday 17th March 2010, 7 - 9pm
VENUE:     Dana Centre, 165 Queen's Gate,
           South Kensington,
           London, SW7 5HD
AGE GROUP: Over 18s only
ADMISSION: Free, registration required

Registration and more information:
http://www.danacentre.org.uk/

This event is organised by the Music, Mind
and Brain group and students from the
MSc Music Mind and Brain
(http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/pg/msc-music-mind-brain/)
at Goldsmiths, University of at Goldsmiths, University of
London, and is part of National Science and
Engineering Week (12-21 March 2010):
http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/web/nsew