From: "Christopher Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 7:04 PM
Subject: Coal cutting by machinery

Dear All,

I wondered if I might call upon the collective wisdom of the group for any
references/sources/examples they may have of early use of coal-cutting
machinery in longwall coal mining in the UK and elsewhere.

This topic was recently mentioned in the NMRS 'British Mining' No.88
Memoirs, 2009, in Mike Gill's interesting article 'The ‘Iron Man’ coal
cutter' .

I'm particularly interested in the development of electrical (DC but also
AC) machinery in the period 1887-1919, prior to importation of US machinery.
British firms interested in this work before the 20th Century include: the
Electrical Coal Cutting Contract Corporation Ltd (bar-machines); Davis and
Sons of Derby (Jeffrey US chain machine); Diamond Coal Cutter Co of W. Yorks
(disc, and later chain and bar etc); Clarke, Steavenson & Co Ltd of Barnsley
(disc machines); Ernest Scott and Mountain of Gateshead (disc, chain etc) -
and of course the compressed air machines of Gillott and Copley and the
Yorkshire Engine Co in England and the Rigg and Meiklejohn in Scotland also
come to mind, prior to the big two of Mavor and Coulson and Anderson Boyes,
with others as the 20th Century progressed.

I'm conscious this in a well-trodden path in some respects (Gresley's work
on diffusion of technology and the subsequent 'path-dependence' discussions
of apparent British lag in adopting effective new methods. Equally there are
some excellent modern sources, for example Jones, A.V. and Tarkenter, R.P. -
Electrical Technology in Mining: The Dawn of a New Age (IEE History of
Technology) P. Peregrinus, 1992 [ISBN 0863411991], but I am interested in
whether anyone has come across more isolated examples of machines in use or
development at other collieries/mines beyond what is reported in the
proceedings of professional societies and parliamentary papers. Pioneers
(and failures) were not always so well reported, and yet can often reveal
most about the internal history of technology.

Chris Jones