we could put a tour of the virtual birth centre as one of the for V midwives day.
cheers
Deb

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Stewart [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, 21 March 2010 8:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Second Life: virtual birthing unit and normal birth scenario

Hello everyone

The Second Life Education New Zealand group has just released the evaluation report that looks at the virtual birthing unit project and normal birth scenario:

http://slenz.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/slenz-project-evaluation-vlenz-165-mar-10-2010/

For those of you who have not heard of this project, midwifery educators at Otago Polytechnic, Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology and the University of Technology Sydney have developed a birth unit and role play resource in Second Life designed for the education of midwifery students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-KL-lCesE

This teaching resource has been developed under a Creative Commons Attribution license which means that anyone is free to take the material and use it for their own purposes and even re-mash it:

http://wikieducator.org/The_virtual_birthing_unit_project

The location of the birth unit in Second Life is here:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Kowhai/82/213/35/

I am looking to work with midwifery educators who would like to use this resource with their students so that we can look at how this resource impacts on learning outcomes. Please feel free to get in touch if you'd like more information.

Sarah
--
Sarah Stewart
Educational Facilitator and Consultant