... And some of the following may be of interest (Selleck only if you
want to explore the pedagogical backdrop).

Bassey, M. (1960) ‘A Field Review of O-level Chemistry Textbooks,’
Technical Education 2 (12), 13–7.

Brock, W. H. (1996) ‘Science for All,’ in idem, Science for All.
Studies in the History of Victorian Science and Education (Aldershot &
Brookfield, Vermont: Variorum), Ch. XIX, 1–37.

Bunney, A. (1999) ‘It’s Not Just a “Children’s Playground”. The
Influence of Children on the Development of the Science Museum,
1857–1973,’ M.Sc. thesis, London Centre for the History of Science,
Medicine and Technology.

Barnes, B. and Shapin, S. (1976) ‘Head and Hand: Rhetorical Resources
in British Pedagogical Writing, 1770–1850,’ Oxford Review of Education
2, 231–54.

Selleck, R. J. W. (1968) The New Education 1870–1914 (London: Pitman).

Selleck, R. J. W. (1972) English Primary Education and the
Progressives, 1914–1939 (London: Routledge & Kegan Paul).