From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Sarah Fletcher
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: mentoring and personality?

Dear Jean and Everyone,

A few further thoughts over breakfast..

If we take the definition of mentoring as facilitating significant life changes e.g career and coaching as more geared to refining skills and reaching pre-specified ends (I am thinking about the definitions in the National Framework from CUREE/TDA here) then in mentoring both parties will very likely be focusing on enabling significant changes in values in use.

Significant changes in values-in-use is a long term project, in my view. (Any 'learning to change is difficult, complex and takes time' [Allen, 2005]).  The first step it to know them, accurately.  That involves significant and ongoing self-analysis, and oten with some trusted and external inputs to validate the internal view and analysis.  And values-in-use are deeply seated (embedded and out of ready conscious sight).   The second step is being sure about the purpose and advantage of changing them.  Then there is the work on shifting such a meaning perspective (Mezirow) and risking intrapersonal disintegration in the process (see The King and I, and 'Tis a puzzlement.)

There is a likelihood that in times of significant life change, values in use and espoused values will a) come under the spotlight and b) develop/evolve i.e. undergo change.  Where values come under the spotlight there may be a Hawthorne effect whereby values change because they are under scrutiny.  In times of substantial upheaval, values in use might become less stable - anecdotal evidence is where mentors and mentees report that they never thought they would react as they had in a particular situation. This might reflect a lack of awareness of their values in use, which surface in time of stress. Alternatively, it might be that both values in use and espoused values are in actuality profoundly shifting.

I suggest that when novice teachers are struggling for survival they may exhibit 'entrenched values' clinging for security to values that have enabled survival in the past or... they might adopt values from their mentors (reinforcing cloning) or they may feel sufficienly confident (perhaps based on surviving previous periods of instability) to tolerate or maybe welcome 'fluid values' which can allow for shifts in perception, position and even overt contradiction.

The 'model' I am working with, with 'attitudes' being the outside ring, more on the surface, more open to change, and often changeable by advertising programs, eg health awareness campaigns, with 'beliefs' being the next more inner ring, and less susceptible to change, eg religious beliefs, political attachments' but capable of changing one's mind in response to thinking through reasons or other challenges to attachments, has 'values' as the innermost component of our complex.  Values are much more entrenched, and incongruent behaviour arises when values-in-use, deepseated survival learning, come into conflict with 'beliefs' or 'attitudes'.  The person of integrity is the one where there is alignment of values-in-use/beliefs/attitudes.