It was the custom in most places in France, anyway, for the founder of
an anniversary to arrange for special food and drink to be offered to
the clerics who participated in the service (these are the pitancia).
The idea was that they would pray more fervently if they were well fed.
In some cases, the founder actually describes the menu, which could be
quite elaborate.  Best, Megan

Christopher Crockett wrote:

> From: Tom Izbicki <[log in to unmask]>
>

>> Are we dealing here with Pitances?
>>

> you mean figuratively (i.e., small, insignificant amounts)?
>

> i wouldn't say so.
>
> the initial rent mentioned in Udo's charter
>
> http://ariadne.org/cc/abbeys/st-peter/CSP391-2.htm
>
> is 35s. on the vineyard, to be supplemented, if necessary, by 14s. from
> Udo’s worldly brother, taken from the market of Chartres, and an additional
> 10s. (if needed) on the port of Conflans.
>
> these are not insubstantial sums, in c. 1150.
>
> many gifts to the chapter for simple anniversary masses recorded in the
> necrology are smaller --20s. or so.
>
> but, if you mean "pitances" in some canonical sense, you should axe someone
> else, cause i'm no scholard in the law.

>> Christopher Crockett wrote:
>>
>>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>>>
>>> here is the earliest example of an anniversary foundation that i know of
>>>
> from
>
>>> the Chartrain, a charter of Abbot Udo of St. Peter's of Chartres, done
>>>
> shortly
>
>>> before 1150:
>>>
>>> http://ariadne.org/cc/abbeys/st-peter/CSP391-2.htm
>>>
>>> property (appropriately enough, "rent" [in kind?] on a vineyard) from
>>>
> Udo's
>
>>> family property given "...per annos singulos sollempniter celebretur
>>> anniversarium....ut semper in die anniversarii nostri splendida refectio
>>> paretur fratribus..."
>>>
>>> based on this example (and a few others, though none quite so specific) i
>>>
> have
>
>>> always assumed that an "anniversary" notice in a necrology referred to
>>> something more than a simple mass by the chapter or members of the house.

ÐÏࡱá

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]