From: Ms B M Cook <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 17 March, 2010 14:19:59
Subject: Re: [M-R] St Neot(s), Cornwall

As in "St Albans" where an "S minus apostrophy" is the correct spelling of the city but one writes of "Saint Alban's martyrdom" or indeed "St Alban's Abbey" (or is it "St Albans Abbey" ????  Perhaps it is "Saint Alban's Abbey" but "St Albans Abbey"  (:-)))

It's a minefield. Jon is right. Use the OS !! Ignore the grammarians They weren't even born when these things were laid down.

BMC