From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 12. March
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 8:53 PM

On Saturday, March 13, 2010, at 1:20 pm, I wrote (and sent too quickly):

> It's just possible that the _viva signa_ of the inscription could
> refer not to the carved _signa_ on the upper part of the altar just
> below the sarcophagus but rather to the paintings, i.e. that _paries
> vivaque signa_ is an hyperbole.

Er, an hendiadys.  I had mentioned hyperbole a little earlier in my response.  Apparently, the word just got stuck in my cerebral cortex.

> Secondarily, it is at least possible and perhaps likely that
> Cantalicio knew that the inscription was to be place above an altar...

Er, placed above an altar....

Apologies for these slips.

Best again,
JD

PS: Marjorie, if you really are going to add this exchange to your site would you please incorporate these corrections?  Thanks, JD

to: [log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]