You've probably got plenty of Irish references (especially Patrick--he
can be vengeful indeed!), but here are a few more:

Samthann caused an eel of enormous size to affix itself to the loins
of a man as he crossed a stream on his way to an assignation with one
of her nuns (Plummer, Vitae Sanctorum Hiberniae II. 256).  She also
beat a man who was trying to cheat her monastery of lumber with her
staff in his dreams (ibid, 258).

When thieves stole food from a nun as she was delivering it to an
anchoress, Darerca caused them to become hopelessly lost until they
confessed their guilt and promised to atone (Heist, Vita Sanctorum
Hiberniae, p91).

If you want my translations of these passages from the Latin (I don't
believe they've been published in translation as of yet), I'd be happy
to send them to you.

Maeve

On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Cormack, Margaret Jean wrote:

> Greetings,
> Can any hagiographers on the list give me an example or two of
> saints who (at least according to their vitae!) actively
> protect their churches, monasteries, or dioceses? I want something a
> bit more local than the Virgin Mary's tunic (?) protecting
> Byzantium - preferably major disaster to someone who dared to steal
> the saintīs property, however defined (with precise references,
> please!)
> Meg

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]