Dear Marjorie,

Four types of holes in manuscripts come to mind:

1) worm holes (as you state)
2) holes resulting from people cutting out either errors/misreadings
or 'ex libris'es
3) holes resulting from the makers of the manuscript, in making the
lines on which the text is written
4) holes that one occasionally finds when, e.g., the skin was either
overly stretched, or scraped too thin at the time the material was
being prepared for use as a support for writing

It would be interesting to know more about the author of the sermon,
eventually.

Best wishes, George

--
George FERZOCO

On 24 Mar 2010, at 03:17, Marjorie Burghart wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Dear list(s) members,
>
> May I ask your opinion on a particular latin line? In a 13th
> century sermon, I found this sentence:
>
> "querimus sapientiam in foraminibus quaternorum pellium ovinarum"
> with, for the record, a different reading in one of the manuscript:
> "querimus sapientiam in foraminibus cysternarum pellium ovinarum
> picturis"
>
> The only interpretation I came up with for this sentence is that it
> is about people who look for wisdom in books and intellectual
> experience instead of the more mystic approach dear to the author,
> "in foraminibus quaternorum pellium ovinarum" being there a
> disparaging description of a worn book half-eaten by worms (why
> else the "in foraminibus?).
>
> But I wonder if there couldn't be another explanation...
> Any idea? :)
>
> Best, M.

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]