Linked Data (capital L capital D) is as defined at http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html and I'm not sure it is helpful to try and define it differently for the museum community?  As you say, it is essentially the 4 principles:

1) Use URIs as names for things

2) Use HTTP URIs so that people can look up those names.

3) When someone looks up a URI, provide useful information, using the standards (RDF, SPARQL)

4) Include links to other URIs. so that they can discover more things.

I think it would also be dangerous to try and define 'linked data' (little l, little d) to mean something different (I presume you weren't trying to do this?).

So I think your question is really something like, "do we want to do Linked Data in the museums sector or do we want to do something else, let's call it 'open data' or 'machine-readable data' (as used by Mike Ellis at http://www.slideshare.net/dmje/dont-think-websites-think-data)?".

Or to put that another way, "is there a variant of 'open data' that isn't Linked Data (i.e. that doesn't require the use of RDF and SPARQL) but that allows the museums sector to achieve workably machine-readable, semantically-interoperable data?".  Standards like the OAI-PMH and SRU would be examples of this.

My strong suspicion is that the answer will depend on your interpretation of 'semantically-interoperable' and your understanding of the size of the community you want to interoperate with.  Plus a big pinch of religious belief thrown in as well :-)

APIs and linked data can definitely work together, at least in the sense that SPARQL is an API and Linked Data is an architectural approach - both are compatible.  However, I suspect that you mean non-RDF-based APIs here?  If so, yes, they can work together but I think you are right to assume that there might be some duplication of effort to do that.

I presume the Collections Trust meeting last week (that Jeremy referred to) covered a lot of this ground (I wasn't able to attend unfortunately) so it'll be interesting to see the results.

Andy

--
Andy Powell
Research Programme Director