Apologies for cross- posting but I wanted to extend my thanks to Linda for this very succinct and reasoned reply - and to all the others who have contributed in response to my original request for information about evaluating Web 2.0  - it's not often I get the opportunity to open up such a wide ranging and mind broadening public debate!

I think the lessons I have learnt from this are, in a nutshell:

- It is possible to evaluate Web 2.0 and provide good evidence but you have to look beyond the traditional methods of counting heads etc.  (We have also started logging posts and corresponding followers on twitter etc)

- Web 2.0 is here to stay, it is as Phil Bradley points out, more a state of mind or an attitude than a set of tools and applications, so it can't be banned

- There is a need for huge investment in Web 2.0, mainly in time, staff development and communication

- Web 2.0 needs to be embraced across the organisation because it is pointless trying to manage it or control it centrally when the community has already leapt ahead of us

I feel that I have come full circle now because one of the case studies you quote, Linda, the Get It Loud In Libraries, was started in Lancashire!
http://www.myspace.com/getitloudinlibraries

Regards,

Glyn Sinar
Applications and Systems Senior Manager
Lancashire County Library and Information Service
Lancashire County Council
Adult and Community Services
East Cliff
PO Box 162