From: A general Library and Information Science list for news and discussion. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dunia Garcia-Ontiveros
Sent: 04 March 2010 12:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Retrospective cataloguing

Dear Duncan,
I'm very sorry you think my posting is 'perverse and blinkered to an astounding degree'. I am very surprised that you should use such strong language. However unimpressed you may be with the work some of us are trying to do to address the enormous national cataloguing backlog to call our initiatives perverse and blinkered is unnecessary. Ultimately, the goal is to make catalogue records more accessible, something that ought to be worthwhile when money is scarce. By doing this we hope libraries short of funds may find it easier to tackle their retrospective cataloguing backlogs.
Personally, I can't see what's wrong with that and while I respect your right to disagree I wish you could have done it with less offensive language.Dunia GarcĂ­a-Ontiveros
Head of Retrospective Cataloguing
The London Library
14 St. James's Square
London SW1Y 4LG
Tel. 020 7766 4746
Fax 020 7766 4766
To reduce costs and increase efficiency we would like to use email as our primary method of communication with members. We ensure our records are secure and we will not pass on email addresses to any third party without members' express permission. Please let us know if you do not wish us to store your email address on our database and communicate with you in this way.