Hola Arnau,

> Well, I checked the code (which I wrote) and could not come up with
> a better theory...

I looked again at another possibility that looked excluded earlier:
in /var/log/cleanup-job-records.log there is evidence of 6233 real
records from Jan 22 being cleaned up on Jan 31.

The file names suggest that /opt/lcg/sbin/dgas-add-record either
was not called (I do not see how) or could not do its job.

For example, the file system could have had the "nosuid" option
(very unlikely) or SELinux might have blocked the executable.

Meanwhile Messi has not been suffering any such impediments...  :-)