The Shibboleth developers have been discussing this and are very much aware
of the issues associated with requiring a database for deployment at any
scale of deployment other that the very largest.

The Shibboleth team are unwilling to ever commit to code until it has been
written and proven, but currently there is a plan which will not require a
database for IdP deployment (indeed I would say that for as far as I am
concerned this is a non-goal).  My personal view is that there is no reason
to assume that this plan or a derivative cannot and will not be delivered
upon.

ComputedID is going away, but the function it currently provides (including
backwards compatibility from 1.3) will still be there one way of another and
no databases will be assumed.

Further, part of the "next major release" story is that tools will be
provided to seamlessly move from the current version of configuration to
future versions (so moving and IdP from 2.x to 3.x will be only marginally
more difficult than moving from 2.x.y to 2.x.z).

Apologies for the delayed follow-up, we wanted a chance to discuss this face
to face.

Rod

IdP I