Hi Paula,
One emphasis I think can help is to be customer-oriented.
But who is the customer?
If you don't consider the people who you want to deposit the customers, then
they will always cause you trouble - they will see it as an imposition, not
a service.
So you might ask some questions about the service.
Does your system look after the customer's content they way they want?
Can they get it back out easily into other forms?
(If not, it is just an extra burden.)
Does the system give html of the publication list so it can be included into
a home page? And are there easy instructions how to do this?
Does it deliver bibtex? Endnote?
Does it identify a particular user's entries (and only those entries)
reliably?

Fundamentally, if you offer a service that will look after my stuff in a
useful way, and so I don't need to keep it elsewhere at all, then I will
commit to putting all my stuff in it as a convenience to me.
And you get the stuff you want.

Hope that helps.
Good luck!
Hugh