Perhaps I can add something to this discussion. The reason we know that
mandates are the only way to get repositories full is simple- it works and
nothing else does.

Long experience over many years has consistently proven that persuading
academics to deposit their papers is a Sisyphean task. A few academics stay
persuaded, but the persuasion for most wears off after a while, and the
persuaded academics drop out. The balance seems to be around 15%, maybe
slightly higher like 20% where the benefits are more obvious. Neither level
is satisfying and no-one has found any good argument for persuasion as a
strategy, except as a route to a mandate.

Let's not get hung up about mandates. Academics are mandated all the time.
Indeed it is an intrinsic part of what it means to be an academic. They are
required to turn up to scheduled lectures. They are required to set exam
papers, and even worse to mark them. Most academics are required to undergo
performance management evaluation, or to go through promotion procedures to
proceed in rank. Academics are required not to molest their students or show
personal preferences. When things like the RAE/REF are contemplated,
academics are required to take part. Academics are also required to publish
their research. Academics happily mandate that their students must submit
assignments on time, and turn up to exams. I could keep going on for quite a
long time...

The only immediate solution in this transitional time is deposit mandates.
Once mandates are universal, they become the community norm but a mandate
nonetheless.

Arthur Sale
University of Tasmania
Australia