Stevan Harnad said the following on 22/03/2010 23:13:

> On 22-Mar-10, at 6:28 PM, leo waaijers wrote:
>
>> (Un?)fortunately, potential mandators are members of the set of
>> grown-up academics themselves. Why would it be easier to convince
>> potential mandators instead of convincing authors directly? Leo.
>
> Because there are many, many academics to persuade one by one, and far
> fewer rectors: For every rector you persuade to mandate, you get
> thousands of academics and tens of thousands of deposits. With
> individual academics, you just get a sore throat, like the chronic one
> I've developed over the past two decades... ;>)-O-

Absolutely correct.

For us, the last time something was mandated was circa 1990 because of
an external mandate (by the then CVCP predecessor to Universities UK).
That mandate (requirement) was for a simple database of research outputs
for the RAE1992, not for a depository.  Once the external requirement
stopped existing so did the internal requirement.  Trying to convince
individual academics is a non-starter, and if the repository was to cost
the academics time and effort it would be in danger of being shut down.

I do not think we are unique amongst the 200 or so Universities in the UK.

Cheers
Charles

--
Charles Christacopoulos, Management Information Officer,
Strategic Information Management, ICS, University of Dundee,

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity - No: SC015096