Call for Papers & Participants

Abstracts due Friday 2 April 2010

UNIVERSITY OF BATH

‘Negotiating Modernity: An Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Workshop’

8-9 July, 2010,  University of Bath, UK

Plenary speakers:

Prof. Ulrike Meinhof
University of Southampton

Dr. Michael Woodiwiss
University of the West of England

The transformative forces of globalisation and its social, political,
cultural and economic impact on modern society have provided a
stimulus for re-conceptualising our understandings of power, identity,
culture and politics. This raises a number of theoretical,
methodological and empirical questions which need to be addressed. The
aim of this workshop is to bring together postgraduate students from
various theoretical and methodological backgrounds, in order to
explore these questions jointly in a friendly, supportive and informal
environment.

  The workshop will run in three parallel sessions and a total of 24
papers will be presented over two days. We are currently looking for
paper submissions and participants to contribute to the following
research areas:

•	Identity and culture:
In modern times, space/boundaries and agency have played a crucial
role in the redefinition of individual and/or collective identities.
We are seeking papers on the theoretical challenges of identity,
asking how such complexities can be integrated into an effective
framework for academic research and/or how they are represented in
contemporary forms of cultural production. We welcome papers from both
the social sciences and cultural studies.

•	Power and governance
The traditional modern state is increasingly seen as a weakened power
structure challenged by internal and external competing actors and
forces. We are seeking papers and participants interested in empirical
and theoretical issues related, but not limited, to the changing
nature of governance, protection, public order, conflicts, crime and
terrorism(s).

•	Politics of regionalism
Traditional perceptions about territories and borders are being
questioned and challenged by a number of scholars who deny the
existence of natural regions. New international spaces, such as
regions, are becoming the focus of attention for scholars and the
international community. We are therefore looking for papers that
explore this resurgence of new type of regional politics that have
become part of international governance.

Registration fees
With one night accomodation (subsidised) in student residences: £65
Without accommodation: £35
The fees include a conference dinner on the evening of 8 July, lunch
on the 9 July and refreshments throughout the workshop.

For more information on travel and accommodation in Bath, please visit
our webpage: http://www.bath.ac.uk/esml/news/negotiating-modernity.html

Abstracts of approximately 300 words and a brief biography are invited
by Friday 2 April with decisions on acceptance to be made by the
conveners within 4 weeks.

For abstract submissions and inquires please contact the conveners in
the following email address: [log in to unmask]

Conveners: Claire Hyland, Panos Kostakos, Eliana Maestri and Christos
Marazopoulos, Department of European Studies and Modern Languages,
University of Bath, UK.

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html