Dear Phil,

I'm sorry that you inferred that I intended in any way to denigrate
either RCHME  or EH.
I was merely seeking to illustrate how fraught the issue of applying
cultural, or even political, terminology can be.

regards

Chris

>>> "CARLISLE, Philip" <[log in to unmask]>
24/03/2010 10:55 >>>

Dear all,

Chris said “our friends in the old RCHME at Swindon (If you don't know
who they were ask an older colleague.) tried to impose a standard
C6th-C9th chronology based on the Kings of Wessex.”

I assume that what is being referred to here is the Timelines thesaurus
which was a TEST thesaurus populated with SOME examples of kings and
rulers to show what might be a useful division of political periods. It
was never imposed on anyone and in fact was never implemented.

It is still in our database and I would have no issue with adding the
Kings of Mercia, the East Angles or even the Rulers of the Hwicce which
were absorbed into the Kingdom of Mercia, should there be seen to be a
need for the thesaurus.

However, it’s been ten years since it was first mooted as part of the
online conference held on the FISH list and no-one has asked for it.

Just thought I’d set the record straight before we get into another
round of RCHME/EH bashing.

Phil

Phil Carlisle
Data Standards Supervisor
English Heritage
National Monuments Record Centre
Kemble Drive
Swindon
SN2 2GZ
+44 (0)1793 414824

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received
the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your
system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else
or copied without the sender's consent.
Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English
Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.
PPlease do not print this e-mail unless you really need to