That's a really useful summary Jenny, thanks.

PDF/A is something we've been thinking about in Highland for a while,
but there do seem to be a number of limitations and constraints at the
moment. I think most of our contractors would throw up their hands in
horror if we were to insist on this at this stage. We would not
generally view ourselves as an archive per se and our position up to now
has been that other organisations such as the ADS and RCAHMS have the
primary responsibility (and resources) for the long term digital
archiving of fieldwork reports and the like.

On the other hand, we do generate a substantial amount of digital
material that is probably never going to be held elsewhere so I guess it
is something we do need to address at some point. File size is something
that has really put me off up to now - is the difference substantial? I
also take it from your last point that it isn't currently possible to
easily batch process PDF files into PDF/A?

Sylvina

Sylvina Tilbury | HER Officer | Planning & Development Service |
Highland Council

Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX | T: 01463 702503 | F: 01463
702298

Highland HER: http://her.highland.gov.uk <http://her.highland.gov.uk/>