Dear all,

Chris said “our friends in the old RCHME at Swindon (If you don't know who they were ask an older colleague.) tried to impose a standard C6th-C9th chronology based on the Kings of Wessex.”

I assume that what is being referred to here is the Timelines thesaurus which was a TEST thesaurus populated with SOME examples of kings and rulers to show what might be a useful division of political periods. It was never imposed on anyone and in fact was never implemented.

It is still in our database and I would have no issue with adding the Kings of Mercia, the East Angles or even the Rulers of the Hwicce which were absorbed into the Kingdom of Mercia, should there be seen to be a need for the thesaurus.

However, it’s been ten years since it was first mooted as part of the online conference held on the FISH list and no-one has asked for it.

Just thought I’d set the record straight before we get into another round of RCHME/EH bashing.

Phil

Phil Carlisle

Data Standards Supervisor

English Heritage

National Monuments Record Centre

Kemble Drive

Swindon

SN2 2GZ

+44 (0)1793 414824

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.

P Please do not print this e-mail unless you really need to