Hi Lilli and all

Rather than relying on the MLA guadance, which appears to be somewhat flawed, you can download the official guidance document directly from the ISA website at

www.isa-gov.org.uk/PDF/VBS_guidance_ed1_2010.pdf

The document is about 80 pages long, but it is Annex B, which starts on page 69 which may be of particular interest in the context of museum outreach and education activities.

This is somewhat forbiddingly titled Regulated activity:statutory guidance on frequency.

And it includes, on pp 72-3, a number of case studies. One of these (para B.23) seems to me to be particularly relevant to the case of people who take outreach activities out into schools, or bring their own workshops into museums.

The case study reads:

B.23 A firefighter goes to a different school every two
weeks to instruct the children in fire prevention. This
does not meet the frequency test and is not regulated
activity. If the visits were weekly, the activity would still
not require registration because the firefighter would
not be returning to the same school on a weekly basis.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Richard.

Richard Ellam