From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Patenaude
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] FIRST: Hippocampus & Older adults

Hi,

Are you running run_first_all? If not, are you using the "intref" model
for the hippocampus?

FIRST can have problems with the hippocampus in severe atrophy cases.
There are some older subjects in the training set but not much with severe
atrophy of the hippocampus. The problem is caused for two reasons. The
shape variation is not well represented. The second is the intensity
variation is not well represented in the training data. In particular,
with significant atrophy the presence of CSF where either the Amygdala or
Thalamus was bordering.

The best solution that I've found given the models provided is to use
FNIRT to warp the image into MNI space. Then run FIRST on the warped
image, and transform the surface(s) back into the native space using
`run_mesh_utils --doWarpMesh -i warp_field -m mesh.vtk -o out.vtk`

Yes, FIRST can accommodate custom models. The software to do it has not
been included in FSL.
It may be possible to provide you with the software if you're interested,
have to check. May I ask how many hand segmentations you have?

Cheers,

Brian