Hi,

I believe it is necessary if you want a good registration.
It is theoretically possible to register EPI scans directly to the
average
template, but the results are typically much worse than you get if you
use a T1-weighted anatomical image of that subject as the intermediate
image.

If your images have the correct labels in FSLView then you can see
it with the same orientation as the template image by doing:
   fslswapdim origimage RL PA IS reorientedimage

Not sure what you mean about the colour bar.  It is shown in the
FEAT report pages with the activation maps.  It is not shown in
FSLView, but the colour bar will look the same and have the
limits that are displayed in the Min and Max boxes in FSLView.

I hope this answers your questions.
All the best,
	Mark