From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board on behalf of Cuban, Sondra
Sent: Wed 31/03/2010 09:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ESRC research brief

Thanks for sharing this Phillippa. Here's more on exploitation issues of migrant social care workers: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article7081849.ece

 Sondra

-----Original Message-----
From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board on behalf of Philippa Grimes
Sent: Wed 3/31/2010 07:20
To: [log in to unmask]

This is an interesting and sad one.  When I went to Pakistan, I realised
that so many of the migrants in Birmingham were from the "higher echelons of
society", whilst working as bus drivers and taxi drivers in the UK, and
hugely looked down on.  At the time, I was doing research for the health
service on ESOL and health and had an argument with my boss about social
class classifications, but got dismissed out of hand as talking nonsense.  A
lecturer at the Institute of Education said to me that it is a truism that
the taxi drivers in New York are the best qualified people in the city.
Philippa