From: "Jennifer Scherr, Head of Library Membership" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [EPNL] All Saints?

I've wondered how frequent the form "Mary('s) Knoll" and similar is - I
first knew it in Hong Kong from a school run by the Maryknoll Sisters:  a
few facts from two sources on Google:

MARYKNOLL
 headquarters of the Catholic Foreign Mission Society of America, near
Ossining, N.Y. The community was established in 1911 and sent out its first
missionaries in 1918.
By 1921, the community consisted of 20 priests, a dozen brothers, and about
65 seminary students. The facilities were four wooden farm buildings,
situated on a hill named "Mary's Knoll".

But whether the hill was called this before - or whether it seemed a
suitable place to found such a community - isn't clear.

I'm sure I've seen other examples in EPNS volumes etc.

Jennifer Scherr

--On 16 March 2010 11:52 +0000 John Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Mary Knoll in Burrington, Herefords, which may well go back to OE gemære
> 'boundary', or its ME equivalent, appears as St. Marys Knoll in 1754 and
> 1835. It might be worth examining other 'St Mary' names for this
> possibility.
>

> John Freeman

Jennifer Scherr
Head of Library Membership
University of Bristol Information Services
Arts & Social Sciences Library

Tel: (0117 33) 18123