Thank you very much to all who responded to my email. What a great resource this forum is.

I would like to give some feedback (without betraying any confidentiality) in order to help others who might come across the same problem (many of you said you would like to know how/if, anything was resolved):

Yesterday I had a meeting with the Vice Principal/Senior Tutor and the students mum, prior to receiving most of your emails. It is interesting how some of the things you suggested featured in the meeting. Here are some of my observations/comments/bits of information:

1>     Although this was the third time the students parent had been into college, the meeting was a success as far as identifying problems and allowing the college to tell the parent all that had been done “behind the scenes”. As so much had been tried, this took a while but it hopefully exhibited our commitment to trying to support the student. In short, MEETINGS are essential, so much can be gleaned face to face.

2>     The question of whether FE (leading to HE) was actually the right path for this student? An important question that I think was assumed by mum, but maybe was not the right path. If the problems the student was having now (and had during all of his school life) were to continue for the next 4/5 years, would he – manage to complete his education in the end? Enjoy himself at university? Be able to cope academically (not making notes/sitting exams/tests etc.? Become even more anxious? I could go on…..

3>     What about alternatives? A more practical course, perhaps a shorter course? P/T work? Princes Trust? (recommended by a couple of you). Mum said her son would be very upset about having to leave the college (change/friends here etc.), that he wouldn’t be able to cope – we pointed out that the plan for him was to go to university, which itself would be a huge change (had this been considered?).

4>     The way of working and the history of his way of working was explored which also raised interesting issues. We got a clearer understanding of the dynamics at home and how he was persuaded to do his homework.

5>     The interpretation of warning letters sent to the home address was explored. Interpretation by the student and of the parents.

I won’t go on, but hope that you get a flavour of the situation. Whether the student remains at the college or not, we have all learned some lessons. One of which is (from an FE point of view) that by talking to the student without involving the parents on every issue (we are trying to encourage independent study/time management etc) and by respecting the students right to decide on how they wish to be supported (rightly so) we might find that the student is not telling us/is not aware of the problems he is facing (without the support). In this particular case I am not sure there is anything we could have done differently, our last effort is going to be to place another teacher in the class to sit with the student to effectively keep a close eye on him/explain instructions/encourage/support etc. to see if this makes a difference – we are trying this in one subject for a trial period of a week.

I hope that you find this a useful email and hope you don’t feel I am giving too many details out (you have no idea of who the student is/what course he is on etc) but I felt it was essential to give you some feedback as so many of you were kind enough to respond to my initial enquiry. (I know most of you work in HE so perhaps it is of less use – i.e. relating to parental involvement).

Regards, Paul

Email has been scanned for viruses by Altman Technologies' email management service