Tony,

As Ed said, DDM is not, nor will ever be cheap.  However, the Anatrace sol-grade is primarily for the early stages of a protein's isolation and purification, but is not recommended (or intended) for crystallization or biophysical experiments.  Use their purer grade for the latter.

What do you mean "large quantities" of DDM?  If you need a lot of DDM, Anatrace is always happy to quote you lower prices for larger bulk orders.  They have been always eager to help.

If you find cheaper sources, ALWAYS make sure there is no batch to batch variations in quality (I have seen a batch of insoluble octyl glucoside from a very reputable German firm!!!).  Run CMC measurements and TLC on all new batches and ALWAYS keep a bit of the old batch when you shift over to a new batch.  It will save you many days of headaches.

Good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
513 Biochemistry Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rm[log in to unmask]