Hi -

I do not think there are "rules". There is a logic, to never truncate within secondary structure elements, and to prefer to delete regions that have a high probability to be disordered.

With excuses for the non-ccp4 plugin, you can use our web server to help you design these.

http://xtal.nki.nl/ccd/Welcome.html

A.