From: Thomas Womack <[log in to unmask]>
Date: March 3, 2010 6:24:38 AM EST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] _diffrn.detail in PDB sf.cif releases

I notice that a fair number of PDB-deposited sets of structure factors in sf.cif format (fourteen of them in the March 2 2010 release) contain an _diffrn.detail line; this comes to my attention because ccp4-6.1.2's cif2mtz falls over when it encounters such a line and I have to edit the CIF manually to get it to continue.

I have never observed this line to have a value other than '?'; is it known what software produces sf.cif files with this meaningless and problematic line in, and how to make it stop?

http://mmcif.rcsb.org/dictionaries/mmcif_pdbx.dic/Categories/diffrn.html

does not mention _diffrn.detail, although it offers an optional _diffrn.details line, and one example where that was used to describe a data-gathering protocol where exposure increased over time.

Tom