Dear Paul,

this is very interesting! From the list of changes, it appears that in
version 1.6.1, you use a similar idea to implement hydrogen bonds via
DSSP during refinement that I used to stabilize the 4.3 A refinement of
Pol II in complex with TFIIB [1]:

                 CHANGE LOG for PHENIX distribution
                 ==================================

Version 1.6.1
=============
<snip>
- phenix.refine
   - much faster rotamer fixing
   - initial implementation of secondary structure restraints (hydrogen
bonds)
     - automatic assignment of sec. str. using KSDSSP (from UCSF CGL)
   - proper treatment of charges on metal ions for scattering factors
</snip>

Could you please give more details of how this is implemented? What are
your hydrogen bond target distances and sigmas? Do you update this list
during refinement?
I used a simple list of additional 2.9 A target-"bond"-distances between
N and O with a target sigma of 0.05 A. This list was determined with
DSSP and a self-made Fortran95 program using a user-defined
"energy-threshold" prior to refinement and was kept constant during
refinement.

Personally, I think, using secondary structure hydrogen bonds should be
an option in every refinement program, especially at lower resolution!!!
The BUSTER Wiki describes the procedure that I used. For REFMAC, I
haven't seen anything similar, yet.

Very exciting!

Best regards,

Dirk.