The search terms you are looking for are "solvated electron" and "color
center" (sometimes F-center).  The former term is used to describe an
unbound electron trapped in between a bunch of water molecules (which
rotate their positive poles toward it to stabilize the species), and the
latter term is used to describe a similar phenomenon in gemology (which
gives amethyst its color).  Solvated electrons in water are known to be
blue, but they don't last very long.  Usually only a few microseconds at
room temperature, but it is not unreasonable that they would last longer
at cryo temperatures.  Water molecules can still rotate at 77 K.  I
first read about "frozen" solvated electrons in the EPR literature (Box,
H. R. (1977). "Radiation Effects: ESR and ENDOR Analysis." London:
Academic Press.), but the "discovery" of them by dissolving alkali
metals in ammonia was apparently done more than 200 years ago, so there
is probably no single and clear reference describing a proof of the
structure of the species.  The "Radiation Chemistry Data Center" at the
NDRL, however is a good place to start looking: http://www.rad.nd.edu/

I have personally noticed that the blue color only appears when the pH
of the hyperquenched solution is higher than 7 or so.  I assume this is
because solvated electrons react with protons to form their conjugate
base: the hydrogen atom.  The latter species is highly reactive as well,
but it is not colored.  Some people have reported a green color (from
DMSO solutions) and I have also seen a few crystals turn red.  I imagine
a simple way to explain this is the classic "electron in a box" problem
often given to first-year physics students.  The bigger the "box" the
electron is trapped in, the longer the wavelengths it will absorb (or
scatter).  The extreme case of this is metal: the outer-shell electrons
in metals are essentially unbound and completely free to move, so the
"box" is the whole substance of the metal.  This is why metal is shiny.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist