Hi Todd,
    I believe the blue colour is caused by free electrons produced on irradiation (the size and shape is presumably v. similar to the beam and the colour will not spread beyond 1 um if at 100K) and these will be produced both in the crystals and the cryo solutions.  I thought that it was described somewhere in the literature but I cannot find a reference, perhaps someone else knows?  Best wishes, Matt.

Todd Geders wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Greetings,

On a recent synchrotron trip, certain frozen samples were turning a blue upon exposure to the beam.  Attached is a representative image from the crystal-centering camera.  If you take snapshots down the crystal, you can make blue dots.  Note that it also colors the frozen solution in addition to the crystal.

Details on conditions:

20 micron beam, unattenuated beam, 12.000 keV, GM/CA at APS
Protein solution:  20mM HEPES-KOH pH 7.5, 100mM KCl, 0.1mM EDTA, 2mM DTT
Crystallization solution:  39% w/v PEG 6000, 0.1M HEPES-KOH pH 7.6, 0.2M Ammonium sulfate
Cryo protection: Added 7% v/v glycerol as cryoprotectant

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing the color change?

Todd Geders
University of Minnesota
Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry
308 Harvard St. SE, #8-101WDH