I think your crystallographic colleague is misled.
SCALEIT simply scals two or more sets of ampiltudes to the chosen one. (
labelled FPH1 FPH2 etc scaled to FP..)

It knows nothing of the contents of the asymmetric unit..

truncate uses the number of residues in the asymmetric unitr to assign a
rough scale to the amplitudes - in that case if you estimated there were
2 molecules per asymm unit and there were actually three it would not be
correct.

Eleanor