Dear colleagues:
We have a 1.4 Angstrom structure of an enzyme showing a water molecule
enclosed in a triangular pocket formed by the hydroxyl oxygens of 2 serine
residues and a sulfhydryl group of an essential cysteine. The water molecule
is forming a 2.8 Angstrom hydrogen bond with each of the hydroxyl groups of
the 2 serines and a 2.9 Angstrom hydrogen bond with the sulfhydryl group of
the cysteine. Is it possible for such a water molecule to lower the pKa of
the cysteine and activate the thiol group?
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions or information on any
literature that I need to look up :>
Sincerely,
Deepak