god stuff Tim,

i have to say though that the same is not quite so true in the US. I
cannot speak for Australia and other dominantly English-speaking
regions. But now i am beginning to understand some things about the
US, one of the reasons that i took the opportunity to move t/here. I
cannot speak for DS Marriott, but i suspect that he finds more
contact and network here too.

LKJ, for example. Not as much of interest to me though as Kamau
Brathwaite. Then there is Nathaniel Mackay, Tyrone WIlliams,
Harryette Mullen, Tracie Morris, Renee Gladman, the whole Cave Canem
initiative including now the fabulous Black Took Collective (3 person
live writing collaborations by Dawn Lundy-Martin, Ronaldo Wilson and
Duriel Harris), Lorenzo Thomas, Will Alexander, CS Giscombe, Julie
Patton . . . there are serious critic-poets such as Aldon Nielson
working and publishing scholarship to support and advocate on behalf
of such work(s). I'm only mentioning a smattering. Many of these
poets are about as out there formally and content-wise as it gets
right now.

The same can be said of Asian north - American poets (Walter Lew's
excellent "Premonitions" anthology gives a glimpse of that circa
1995) and Latina/o poets (extraordinary bodies of work by Edwin
Torres, Sonia Sanchez, Jayne Cortez, Rodrigo Toscano  . . .).

To whit i was just chatting with Keith Tuma and Cathy Wagner a couple
of days ago during Lee Ann Brown's week-long visit here about the
claim made by Cole Swenson in the new anthology from the University
of California "American Hybrid" (publishers of Mark Weiss's important
recent bilingual anthology "The Whole Island: six decades of Cuban
Poetry" and Dennis Tedlock's completely mind blowing "2000 Years of
Mayan Literature . . . one of the more beautiful books one might ever
see in print just out) . . . that poets such as Fanny Howe and Rae
Armantrout represent a nominal center in poetry here these days . .
perhaps too extravagant (a little) but with evidence mounting.

Which begs the question . . . of signifying on traditions and
resistances and fresh explorations / moves . .

xxx

cris