Hi Ian,

Off the top of my head - Thom Gunn's 'On The Move'

And there's this one by German poet Jan Imgrund (my translation)

could I go through with this at the level of less-fine proportions
inspiration pops up uninvited
the new x5       covert elegance       sleek
black on the mucky beige of the
piste       brackish puddles
hot vibrating property

just imagine
yourself in control of the perfect vehicular motion
ready yourself for the adventure of comfort
in a shift to data carriers you never need leave
an audioguide provided as you slide in
come closer       glide along the lines of lights
the real metropolis confusing colour-
contrast controls in its ruthlessness       experience
a world full of mourning & death yet with moments of honest-
ly desperate comedy

into the transparent garages of genuineness       people
there who really exist and are cowering now
their sticky floors imitating their kids       their complete
absorption in their daily
laborious salvaging of screw-on parts       their
stacked sleep       is absolute       they benefit
from rolling in it       & that one there
the keening of his tiny eyes
grinding right into the panels
the same perpetrator who’s confessed before time
has been breathing all his life through a fabric mask       the
stench of revenge like rotting metal

I had to think about this for quite a while
it doesn’t seem easy to hold your tongue these days
a super image seems to need the right setting
& all the same in reality we haven’t missed
the boat in getting in on a good life       but we’ve
come full circle

& as the x5 flat mirror skews on approach       becomes
so uncar       flowing away from the touch
I’ll never be able
to accept this       this scare of steel       the
way sand rears up like needles

Best
Catherine