Yes, I'd agree with what more or less everyone else is saying. We find the Bb offering hopelessly clunky and don't make it available to students. (Staff can access it, but on the whole don't.)

We're currently using a branded version of Mahara (http://portfolios.lincoln.ac.uk) because it's a) free, b) easily customisable, and c) has a relatively gentle learning curve, although you do needreasonably good technical support to install it. There's also an excellent and lively user support group.  We have also had a limited number of licenses for Pebble Pad, for some years too. I personally think PP offers much more functionality than other tools once you get to know it, but in my view it isn't all that intuitive for a first time user, which tends to discourage repeat use.

In truth, I can't say I've ever found much evidence of demand for any sort of e-portfolio tool among students, and to be honest there's comparatively little interest among academic staff in using them with students - except perhaps in subjects where portfolios are a professional requirement, and even then they tend to be very much driven by the needs of the certifying professional body.

All the best.

From: Paul Rettey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 March 2010 11:49
Subject: E-portfolios

Hi,

With regards to e-portfolios, what are people currently using for e-portfolios  and why?

We are looking into e-portfolios as part of a new offering and I would like to know what people’s views are on the current offerings, including Blackboards own. We are on Version 8 at the moment.

Thanks

Paul

STBest100

Find out more

Think before you print - save energy and paper

Visit the CIPD website This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. It may contain personal views which are not the views of the CIPD or CIPD Enterprises Limited unless specifically stated. You may use and apply the information only for the intended purpose and if you have received it in error, it must be deleted and the sender notified. Please note that the CIPD monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, 151 The Broadway, London, SW19 1JQ.
Incorporated by Royal Charter. Registered charity (number 1079797). CIPD Enterprises Limited is wholly owned by the CIPD, incorporated in England with registered number 2921009 and registered office at 151 The Broadway, as above.