From: The History of the BBC [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of D.Weinbren
Sent: 23 March 2010 12:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BBC-HISTORY] The Open University and the BBC: appeal for help

This is an introduction and an appeal for help.

I've recently started working on the history of The Open University in
the UK (OU). The intention is to write a scholarly, accessible book.
From 1971 OU teaching materials were broadcast via BBC TV and radio
channels, initially from Alexandra Palace. In later years programmes
were made on the Open University' campus in Milton Keynes. The
relationships between producers and academics and between the university
and the BBC were complex and not always harmonious. There is a
multi-faceted history of educational broadcasts, lectures on the
television and the idea of a 'University of the Air'. I'd like to
communicate with those interested in such matters. Please contact me if
you think that you might be able to suggest appropriate contacts or
ideas or if the relationship between the BBC and The Open University is
of interest to you. I am based in Milton Keynes where there is an OU
archive.

Thank you,

Dan Weinbren

--

The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an
exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland