Dear All,

I have found this discussion strand most illuminating. Apart from one correspondent, nobody mentioned the importance of managed digital storage of sound and video recordings, something which includes migration but also things like error checking, which are essential to the long term health of these large digital files. We are fortunate to have good international guidelines, available from the International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archivists at: http://www.iasa-web.org/special_publications.asp <http://www.iasa-web.org/special_publications.asp> . The document you need is IASA-TC04 2nd Edition, the first publication on the list. It will open your eyes, if you have not read it, to the real needs of sound and video recordings with regards to preservation in particular. Hence my suggestion that a large organisation like the British Library might be a better place to deal with such needs in the long term.

David Lee

________________________________

From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shawcross Kath
Sent: 24 March 2010 12:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Oral history archives

Ms Kathleen Shawcross
Borough Archivist & Local Studies Manager
London Borough of Sutton, Central Library, St Nicholas Way, SUTTON, Surrey SM1 1EA

Tel: +44 (020 8770 4745), FAX: (020 8770 4777)
web site: www.sutton.gov.uk

Local Studies & Archives Centre Opening Hours

Tue, Wed & Fri 10-6pm

Thur 10-8pm

Sat 9-5pm; Sun 2-5pm

Closed Mondays

Printing this email? Please think environmentally and only print when essential!