Dear All

Apologies for not seeing this thread until too late! It appears some well
versed archivists have beaten me to it.

The theme of women's voting rights predating suffrage in local politics,
school boards, and especially in Parish Councils(!) has been looked at by
several researchers - these being important paths for politicised women to
take.  Not only could they vote, but in some instances they could also
stand.  A lot of the 'rules' seem to be regional.

It's also worth pointing out that there were several calls for women's
suffrage prior to the main 'push' that most people are taught about.  The
militant movement of the suffragettes led by the Pankhursts in the early
1900s comes some time after the constitutional (boring letter writing and
petition bearing) suffrage movement led by Millient Fawcett dating from
the mid 1860s right through to 1928.  And there were calls prior to this
as well.

Anyway, just a reminder that if anyone wants to really delve into this
topic our catalogues are online 24=7, see our website
www.thewomenslibrary.ac.uk (esp our source note on suffrage, available in
our 'About Collections' section) for more detail.   Our opening hours are
also available!

Enjoy the weekend ;)

Teresa

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo