I'm not sure that I'd agree with that assessment of DuQuette's work (and of course, he's definitely NOT an academic, but does apply some academic methodology). In fact, I'd say that DuQuette's talent for improvising, questioning tradition and personally connecting to goetic demons is exactly the opposite of being stuck with 'books that must not be changed'.

As far as individual consciousness goes, I always defer to DuQuette's dictum in Chicken Qabalah that 'it IS all in your head, it's just that your head is much bigger than you think' or something like that. So he does take into account levels beyond individual consciousness. But I do appreciate his attempt to connect to the external through the internal - macrocosm and microcosm, don't ya know.

--- On Fri, 3/26/10, Jake Stratton-Kent <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Jake Stratton-Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Religious Topics and Personal Judgements
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, March 26, 2010, 12:41 PM

Hi Jason,

excuse my over serious or passionate response, it's just me! ;)

On 26 March 2010 17:10, jason winslade <[log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well, in another example of how difficult definitions are, I'd disagree with the notion that Pagans MUST believe in a deity. I consider myself somewhat of an agnostic Hermetic/Pagan, in that I approach deities as archetypal, psychological entities that *MAY* have external existence, but they may also just be things we humans made up. However, when it comes to effective practice, that distinction is irrelevant, because I practice 'as if' they were external entities. Sort of like Lon Milo DuQuette's approach to the Goetia.

LOL - that's two cases of difficulties with definitions! The approach
to entities you outline isn't necessarily too different from my own,
though I place the emphasis exactly the opposite way around.

Trouble with 'the DuQuette model' is it makes no case whatever for
much updating of a thoroughly derivative methodology (case in point,
so far from being 'The' goetia, it is arguable if it is any goetia at
all!)

I'd argue that the emphasis does make a difference to effective
practice, as follows. Imagine if the entities concerned might be
hacked off by an outmoded approach which relies wholly on an early
modern text indifferent to their origins or 'true nature'. We then
have some motivation for exploring the past more fully, for comparing
our approach with living traditions elsewhere in the world and - to
cut it short - for improving our magic.

This is very different from taking it on and off the shelf unchanged
from 1650 to the present. Something magicians in earlier periods did
not do, so why should we?

Otherwise we're stuck in an inaccurate 'historical re-enactment' slot
where everything is done by rote and remains the same. Not for me as
you've likely gathered! ;)

Thing is with the 'all in the mind' scenario is even if it is true we
too easily forget it isn't just our individual mind. Persephone was
obsessing Empedocles before JSK was a twinkle in his father's eye, or
his father in his etc., and will still be current long after I've
gone.

From where I sit it is not only easier to work effective magic by
considering them functionally separate from our individual selves and
immortal (which they are in both cases by this definition as well as
older perspectives) but easier to improve what passes for magic, and
our understanding of that of others. Of course it is very inconvenient
for magic (or our understanding of it) to progress, rather than sit
still and be analysed. But art, politics and religion do, and the
analysts have learned to cope with that.

In any case, most, if not all species of magic are focussed on
spirits, whereas we have now made the centre a pile of 'books that
must not be changed', that is phenomenally skewed, and doesn't aid
comprehension even for a non-practitioner.

ALWays

Jake (probably a polytheist, still making up my mind)