On 26 March 2010 09:01, Jake Stratton-Kent
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On the other hand, sorry folks, I'm not an academic, I will never
> behave or - apparently - think like an academic. Not that I haven't
> tried, I did well enough on a part time ancient history course to have
> a thesis adopted for the next years course. But rather than
> anthropology or sociology as it relates to belief systems etc. I put
> my brain into understanding elements of Neoplatonism, Astrology
> ancient and modern, and so on.
>
> Appreciating cultural differences and the origins of particular themes
> does play a role, but my emphasis is completely separate from some of
> the stuff you guys appear to focus on. I'm far more a magician
> accessing academia than an academic studying magic.

answering myself may have to be the way of things for the present, but
there is an important  point about empathic approaches in the above.

My thesis answered a question about the Punic Wars; why didn't
Hannibal attack Rome when he supposedly had the opportunity?

My argument made use of evidence like a good history student, but I
also attempted to think like a general and politician of the period.
Perhaps he appreciated better than his lieutenants the strengths and
weaknesses of both sides, and was not eager to attempt a siege, rather
than 'rural ambushes'.

In this case, I reasoned, he may well have been seeking an alliance
with Macedonia to facilitate shifting the campaign to the urban
environment. Livy was eager to implicate the Macedonians in
Carthaginian endeavours, and there may have been some basis in fact
for his accusations.

That answer is not, of course, sociological, psychological or
anthropological, but then those disciplines were not part of
Hannibal's mindset and cannot alone explain his actions. It is a
legitimate, indeed a sensible approach to a historical conundrum. So I
propose, thinking like an occultist is not out of place on this list.
Occultism has theoretical and practical considerations which academics
should be able to address via the empathic method. It is these that
primarily supply an arena for discussion between academics and
occultists, where the willingness exists.

ALWays

Jake